• Be sure that the hand rails on your stairs are strong and well attached. If the stairs are becoming a problem, consider getting a stair climber. Hint: these can also be great for sending up heavy bags of groceries!
• Install grab bars in your bathroom, by the toilet and in the shower. Consider getting a shower chair, or a walk-in shower or bath.
• Remove carpets you might trip or slide on.
• Set the water heater at a lower temperature to avoid skin burns.
• Be sure that all smoke detectors are installed and functional. You might also want to get an alarm bracelet or pendant which can alert a 24 hour monitoring service in case of a fall or medical emergency.
For more info about this, go to http://peopletrackusa.com. And you might want to set up a phone call with a family member or friend, just for a daily check in.
For more information about staying safe and well in your home, take a look at www.aoa.gov which will provide you with lots of good information on the subject.