Most seniors love their homes and prefer to stay in them. It is important, however, to evaluate your home so that you can be safe and secure, now and in the future. What are some of the things you can do ensure your safety?
• Be sure that the hand rails on your stairs are strong and well attached. If the stairs are becoming a problem, consider getting a stair climber. Hint: these can also be great for sending up heavy bags of groceries!
• Install grab bars in your bathroom, by the toilet and in the shower. Consider getting a shower chair, or a walk-in shower or bath.
• Remove carpets you might trip or slide on.
• Set the water heater at a lower temperature to avoid skin burns.
• Be sure that all smoke detectors are installed and functional.
You might also want to get an alarm bracelet or pendant which can alert a 24 hour monitoring service in case of a fall or medical emergency.
For more info about this, go to http://peopletrackusa.com
. And you might want to set up a phone call with a family member or friend, just for a daily check in.
For more information about staying safe and well in your home, take a look at www.aoa.gov
which will provide you with lots of good information on the subject.